The general aim of Careers Education is to prepare pupils for the choices, changes and transitions affecting their future education, training and life as adult members of society. To this end Kilkeel High School, through curricular programmes and other guidance activities, will help to promote the following aims:
- Self-Awareness & Development – enable pupils to understand their own personal needs, abilities and interests together with a growing awareness of their particular strengths and limitations in order to choose and implement an appropriate career plan.
- Career Exploration – foster opportunity awareness in order to understand the nature of work and occupations, paid and unpaid and how these effect people’s lives and attitudes.
- Career Management – enable pupils to develop the qualities and skills to manage transitions, within education, from education to work and in life generally. The development of decision-making skills will enable students to be effective in a variety of adult roles and occupations.
- Careers Education – provides a means of developing individuals’ knowledge, understanding and experience of opportunities in education, training and employment and the skills, which are necessary to make informed decisions.
- Career Guidance – provides a means of helping individuals to apply relevant knowledge, understanding and skills to their own circumstances when choices have to be made.