Access Keys:

 
 
Kilkeel High School, Knockchree Avenue, Kilkeel

AS Technology

 
 

Course followed: Edexcel Design and Technology - Product Design (Resistant Materials Technology)

At 'AS' level students explore how products are designed and made commercially. This is achieved through the completion of a 'Portfolio of Creative Skills'. This comprises of three sections in which students investigate a product, design a product and manufacture a product. The coursework allows students to use a wider variety of tools, machines and processes in response to the higher level of demand at this Key Stage. The course involves a significant amount of practical and design work and the resulting coursework is worth 60% of the mark. The remaining 40% is earned through a single exam sat at the end of the year.

Technology students are given a wide range of experiences to support their studies and make extensive use of ICT including Computer Aided Design (CAD) software that may be installed at home and the schools Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). In addition visits, trips and events are provided to aid understanding of the course.