French is currently offered at AS and A2 level. Students have eight timetabled lessons, plus one period with the foreign language assistant. Students enter for module exams in June of the Lower Sixth year and June of the Upper Sixth year. We follow the CCEA specification. We use the Nelson Thornes Kerboodle! Online resource as the basis for our teaching. Spanish is offered at both AS and A2, taught at St Louis' Grammar School in Kilkeel.
Summary of the AQA Specification:
This specification is designed to encourage candidates to:
- develop the knowledge and skills acquired at GCSE level and use the language learned in a wide range of contexts
- gain a useful insight into another culture and reflect on aspects of contemporary society
- enhance their employment prospects, facilitate foreign travel and experience the enjoyment and motivation of improving their linguistic level.
The AS course covers:
- Media: TV, advertising and communication technology
- Popular culture: cinema, music and fashion/trends
- Healthy living/lifestyle: sport/exercise, health and well-being and holidays
- Family/relationships: relationships within the family, friendships and marriage/partnerships.
The AS specification has 2 units:
- Unit 1: Listening, Reading and Writing
- Unit 2: Speaking Test.
The A2 course covers:
- Environment: pollution, energy and protecting the planet
- The multi-cultural society: immigration, integration and racism
- Contemporary social issues: wealth and poverty, law and order and the impact of scientific and technological progress
- Cultural topic: the study of a target language speaking region/community or the study of a period of 20th century history from a target language-speaking country/community or the study of a novelist/dramatist/poet from a target language-speaking country/community or the study of a director/architect/musician/painter from a target language-speaking country/ community.
The A2 specification has 2 units:
- Unit 3: Listening, Reading and Writing
- Unit 4: Speaking Test.
The following site has some useful hints and revision tips for all AS and A2 language students:http://www.whystudylanguages.ac.uk/post16/help
We use the Study Days & Film Days offered by QUB to extend our students' knowledge and capabilities.