Key Stage 4
French is continued by most students to GCSE, with Spanish as a KS4 GCSE option. Encore Tricolore (Nouvelle Edition) is the course used for French. CCEA is the examination board used. Students will produce four pieces of controlled assessment work – two written and two spoken over the GCSE course. They are entered for Foundation or Higher Reading and Listening papers, according to their ability.
Through studying this specification, students:
- develop an understanding of written and spoken French/ Spanish in a variety of contexts;
- develop the ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken French/Spanish using a variety of vocabulary, syntax and structures;
- develop knowledge of the language and language-learning skills;
- develop an awareness and understanding of French/Spanish-speaking countries and communities;
- recognise that their linguistic knowledge, understanding and skills help them to take their place in a multilingual global society; and
- derive enjoyment from language learning.
The course provides a sound base for further study of French/Spanish at a more advanced level. It also helps students make informed decisions about further learning opportunities and career choices.