A Victorian Farmhouse in Mourne.
This museum is a 19th century farmhouse situated at the foot of the Mournes in the townland of Ballyveamore, five miles from Annalong.
The farmhouse was built in the 1850’s just after the Great Famine and the date, 1858, is still clearly seen on the right-hand pillar at the entrance.
The house was inhabited by the Irvine family until 1956. The lease of the farmhouse and thirty acres of land was originally given to Edward Irvine by General Chesney as a wedding present. Irvine was Chesney’s coachman.
The two-storey house, which is white-washed and built of stone, has a slated roof. There are five rooms:- a kitchen, a parlour (or “the room”), the pantry and two bedrooms. Each room, except for one of the bedrooms, which is now an exhibition area, is furnished as it would have been in 1900. There is also a dry toilet outside. “The Room” has pictures of generations of the Irvine family, many of whom emigrated to the U.S.A.
The museum is frequently visited by pupils from Key Stage 3.